Tuesday 5 November 2013

Want to know what's Erasmus like? Read the post!

Hey!

Today, I'm posting an interview that I did to Lorea, my 19 year-old sister who is experiencing Erasmus in England. Although she wants to work with Basque, she wanted to try this experience to be more open-minded.

Here's the interview:

A: Hi Lorea ! I've got ten questions for you about your life there to get to know more about this programme called Erasmus. Let's start: What are you studying? How much time will you spend abroad?
L: Hey Ainhoa. I'll be glad to answer your questions. I'm studying translation and interpretation at the University of Sheffield , where I'm staying in the hall residence sharing a kind of flat with people from different countries . I'll be in Sheffield for 10 months.






A: Why did you decide to ask for an Erasmus?
L: Well, ,mainly because English will be one of the most used tools in my job and with this opportunity I wanted and want to improve as much as possible my English level. That's why I chose an English speaking country and also because I wanted to live and get to know cultural diversity.



A: Are you enjoying it?
L: Of course I'm. It's the most enriching experience I've lived. Although it involves leaving home and having to change drastically some of your customs, you realize that other people's customs and lifestyle are also good, as we tend to think ours are the best and you can learn from it.

A: What drawbacks do you find to this experience?
L: Well, I guess when you choose a university, you risk finding one with a completely different educational system from your home one; also, all the subjects are in English, of course, something that demands a bigger effort. In my case, I've got 7 hours of class per week, but I have to work lots more by myself to adapt to the pace.

A: Do you often feel homesick? What do you miss the most?
L: Sometimes. Sometimes it's hard when you need to hug a family member or a friend and you realise that's not possible until a long period of time, but that's got its positive side: you appreaciate more what you've in the Basque Country.I also miss someone who will cook for me, I always have to cook, myself. I'd also say I miss understanding everything in class.

A: What could you tell us about customs and people?
L: Mmm... You should know that EVERYTHING is different. They "have lunch" at noon and they kind of have dinner at five, and after having dinner they go to the gym or they do different spare time activities.

A: What about the language? Do you find it easy or difficult to adapt?
L: That depends on your intention when you come here. For example, I want to speak English as good as Basque or at least I want to try it but I definetely think anyone can adapt; of course, it'll be difficult at first but the difficulty goes down and you get used to it and if not, then you'll have people from your country to help you.

A: Do you think staying and being in a EU country helps you?
L: Yes it does, unhesitatingly. Even if we have different customs, the difference is not as big as going to another place, I mean, way further. The target university also provides us with more facilities and it helps making things easier for us, you feel accepted and the passport things and so are also easier at the time of coming here.

A: How do you benefit from Erasmus?
L: Everything or almost everything is good. Of course there are disadvantages and you can feel sad, impotent,... but you always find something positive and you gain maturity in a really wide way.

A: Finally, would you recommend the experience or not?
L: Absolutely! Even if you don't intend to work abroad or live away or... It's always good to know how's life in other places or just to learn to appreciate what you've. With Erasmus you have the opportunity to get to know different cultures, languages, different outlooks on life and it helps you getting independent and autonomous.




               ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Lorea for answering the questions!

Now we can have a closer idea of how it's like to live abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment